IFS for EMDR Therapists - 3.0 CE
An Introduction to IFS with EMDR in Mind
This 3 hour course is designed to introduce EMDR therapists to the Internal Family Systems (IFS) model. IFS is rapidly transforming the practices of many psychotherapists, including EMDR therapists, due to its universality, elegance, effectiveness, and intuitively natural appeal. It is an ego state model that applies to both the client and the therapist, and relies upon the organic development of a healing process through eliciting the healing energy of everyone's inner Self. It normalizes the formation of a protective system of inner parts which self-organize into Protectors (defenses) and Exiles (trauma parts).
This course, in Powerpoint lectures, will point out some of the major concerns about the use of EMDR with complex clients, the need to supplement EMDR with an Ego State model, discuss the unique advantages of IFS as an Ego State model, thoroughly describe the essential concepts of the model, and introduce its use in all eight phases of the EMDR Standard Protocol.
The workshop will demonstrate the organic process of IFS through ample session video clips, as well as how this approach can be infused into the 8 phases of EMDR. This will prepare learners for further elaboration of the integration of IFS and EMDR in the 6 hour EMDRIFS.com course; IFS-Informed EMDR: The Internal Family Systems Interweave.
- Presents EMDR concerns that call for coupling with an Ego State model.
- Describes the unique advantages of IFS as an Ego State model.
- Explains all the basic concepts and demonstrates the process of IFS therapy.
- Discusses similarities and differences between EMDR & IFS.
- Discusses and demonstrates the use of IFS in all 8 phases of EMDR.
After completing this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Name two unique features of IFS as an Ego State Therapy.
- Name and describe three types of parts.
- Explain the purpose of the "How do you feel toward the part?" question.
- Define the concept of Burdens.
- Explain the processes of Retrieval and Unburdening.
Bruce Hersey, LCSW, is an Approved Consultant in EMDR and also a Certified IFS Therapist.
Having completed IFS Levels I, II & III Training, and as a repeat Level One Program Assistant, he has passionately imparted his deep understanding of the model by teaching numerous introductory IFS workshops, leading IFS consultation groups, and providing individual IFS consultation.
He has presented at the IFS International Conference several times, and has been teaching workshops on the integration of EMDR & IFS since 2013.
Additionally, Bruce is also an Approved Consultant in Clinical Hypnosis through ASCH and a Certified Sex Therapist Supervisor through AASECT.
Contact Bruce for online consultation (zoom video) on the integration of EMDR and IFS, or toward certification in EMDR, IFS, Clinical Hypnosis, and Sex Therapy at $150 for a 45 minute session.