Prerequisite: Must complete IFS-Informed EMDR before enrolling in this course.
Approved for 3 EMDRA CE!
Course Extension Subscriptions
Course extensions may be purchased as a monthly subscription at $15 per month per course after the six month access is expired. You will receive an email to notify you of this option six months after you purchase the course. It will contain instructions.
This 3 hour course dives deeper in exploring the Discovery process outlined in IFS-Informed EMDR. It contains a narrated powerpoint presentation followed by three annotated session videos, video recordings from individual & group consultations explaining & summarizing the process, and a bonus video discussing a flow chart developed by a group member.
Discovery is a term taken from Coherence Therapy (Unlocking the Emotional Brain , Ecker, et als). It means uncovering the emotional truth behind a symptom derived from implicit memory. It will make sense given the original context. Implicit memories are unconscious and reflexive, and they are at the heart of most of the symptomatic behavior and reactions we see in our clinical practices.
Internal Family Systems (IFS) therapy guides us to understand that in healing work, we are almost certainly going to encounter protectors. These parts are responsible for what might otherwise be seen as resistance, acting out, etc., but they always have underlying positive intentions. They are embedded within an entire protective system of parts.
When we select a trauma target in EMDR, we necessarily activate this protective system, which can very often be complex and vigorous. Often, pushing forward with processing our selected target makes things worse. But backing up and doing intensive resourcing delays productive processing, sometimes indefinitely. This is the dilemma EMDR therapists routinely face.
These ideas from Coherence Therapy and IFS intersect at one point in the EMDR process, on the verge of the Assessment Phase. It is here that we can utilize sets of alternating bilateral stimulation in a new way to process protectors. A way that is in-between resource installation and desensitization, and has advantages of both.
The Discovery process is a bridge from the Preparation Phase of EMDR to the Assessment Phase and beyond. It will clarify the protector's positive intention, uncover the original problems the symptom is designed to solve, and stimulate emerging Self-Presence. All this clears the way for a conventional Assessment Phase and Desensitization with functional dual attention.
After completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Explain the difference between the conventional EMDR Assessment Phase target elements and the Discovery target elements.
- Name two beneficial by-products of the Discovery process.
- Describe two primary tasks of the therapist during Discovery.
- Name two ways Discovery employs Onno van der Hart’s suggested modifications of EMDR processing for complex clients.
The Man-in-the-Maze: Discovery as a Labyrinth
A labyrinth is an ancient symbol that relates to wholeness. It combines the imagery of the circle and the spiral into a meandering but purposeful path. It represents a journey to our very center and back out into the world. Labyrinths have long been used as meditation and prayer tools.
Labyrinths derived their name from Greek mythology, where the Minotaur, a legendary half-man, half-bull monster whose survival depended upon sacrifices, was defeated by the hero Theseus. Theseus, scheduled to be sacrificed, entered the unsolvable labyrinth with a sword and ball of thread, slayed the monster and used the thread to retrace his steps back out of the abysmal labyrinth.
Deadalus, the skilled architect, craftsman, and artist hired by King Minos to design & build the Labyrinth, was immediately imprisoned & exiled by Minos in order to maintain secrecy of its existence. The myth contains the elements of a secret, well-crafted, and puzzling design whose architect is exiled - much like the stories that unfold in the labyrinths which our clients' inner protectors construct.
This illustration is the Native American Hopi symbol Man in the Maze design, which symbolizes experiences and choices we make in our journey through life. The Discovery process parallels this inner journey to the core of one's suffering, followed by a transformation, before returning to the outer world and renewed life.
Prerequisite: Must complete IFS-Informed EMDR before enrolling in this course.
Bruce Hersey, LCSW, is an Approved Consultant in EMDR and also a Certified IFS Therapist & Consultant.
Having completed IFS Levels I, II & III Training, and as a repeat Level One Program Assistant, he has passionately imparted his deep understanding of the model by teaching numerous introductory IFS workshops, leading IFS consultation groups, and providing individual IFS consultation.
He has presented at the IFS International Conference several times, and has been teaching workshops on the integration of EMDR & IFS since 2013.
Additionally, Bruce has extensive experience in Clinical Hypnosis & Sex Therapy.
Contact Bruce for online consultation (zoom video) on the integration of EMDR and IFS, or toward certification in EMDR or IFS at $150 for a 45 minute session.
Continuing Education Information
- EMDRIA: (EC provider #17025): Bruce Hersey (emdrifs.com) is an approved EMDRIA training provider and this workshop is approved for 3.0 EMDRIA CE.
- IFS-Institute: this workshop is approved for 3.0 IFS Institute recertificationcredits.
- NEAFAST: this workshop is approved for 3.0 LMFT CE’s in the state of Massachussettts by NEAFAST.
Approved for 3.0 CE distance education for social workers and counselors as below.
- This course is NOT available for APA credit
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit
- This training does NOT offer ASWB ACE credit to social workers.
CE-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content. CE-Classes.com is approved by:
- Florida Certification Board
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2023
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0223 Expires 02-2023
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners – CE-Classes.com meets the requirements for acceptable continuing education
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors – CE-Classes.com meets the requirements for acceptable continuing education
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: (TBD)
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201
- New York Social Work Board – CE-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education
- Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of
- continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2024 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2024.
Accommodations for the Differently Abled
This workshop is held in a facility and/or delivered in a manner that is in compliance with the Americans Disabilities Act. Please contact [email protected] if special accommodation is required.
Taxes may be automatically applied during checkout:
European Union Value Added Tax: (VAT) is charged on purchases made by consumers in the EU. VAT applies to any merchant selling a product or service (including digital products like an online course) to a consumer based in Europe. In general, the location of the merchant doesn't matter—it is the location of the consumer that determines whether or not VAT should be applied.
U.S. State Sales Tax: Teachable will automatically calculate, collect and remit U.S. (state) sales tax on the sales of emdrifs.com courses to the relevant state authorities, where applicable. This includes Pennsylvania, where emdrifs.com is based.
Frequently Asked Questions
I hope you and your clients derive great benefits from the ideas and methods,
and you have an enjoyable learning experience.